Thursday, October 1, 2009

Budgeting and Food Storage

So when Matt got laid off we decided we needed to be more strict about our budget. We had set up a budget when we got married and for the most part we did ok about sticking to it. We pretty much lived on Matt's salary and were able to put most of mine into savings. And we have saved up a lot of money since then, which was supposed to be for our house. We'll just have to keep it and keep saving for when Matt's done with school and we can buy a house again. Anyway, we definately had some room to improve in our spending habits and budgeting skills. Especially since we will be living on my salary now, which is a bit less than Matt's salary was.

So we came up with a new plan. We cut down on some of our expenses and figured out a better way to keep track of our spending. September was the first month of the new plan and I am happy to report that WE DID IT! We did not overspend in any category (except for Matt's GRE costs, which will be reimbursed and we bought him a new laptop for school), and we are still able to put quite a bit of money into savings each month. I'm so proud of us! And I don't feel like we are depriving ourselves either.

Also, we decided last month that we really needed to start being serious about our food storage. We can't do a lot and we really don't have a lot of room in our apartment to put it, but we decided it was important to start doing something. I was inspired by this article in the Ensign this month that talked about this very thing. So each week at the grocery store I have been buying 2-3 extra items for our food storage. We're putting it under our desk for now.

It's not much, but our little stash is growing each week. It's fun to see it grow, and the best part is that I've noticed it doesn't affect my grocery bill. Seriously, I don't notice that I spend any more by doing this. I also updated our 72-hour kits. Anyway, I'm just proud of our little efforts.

Oh yeah, and I started using those reusable shopping bags. Love 'em!

2 comments:

The Lively's said...

that's good you started your food storage! I use to give michele a hard time about there's. I let everyone know I wasn't sharing my food storage. But being it's all in the basement it will all be gone if there is an earthquake & we can't get to it. Anyhoo... Glad things r working out for the most part! Btw...Pinching your pennies.com has good coupons for budgeting and can save you even more money$!!!

The Bentley's said...

way to go!!! i LOVE budgeting... sometimes it's discouraging, but i think if you track all of your money and where you spend it, then it's easier to look at where you can improve! you should try couponining... if you dare, for your food storage. i have been doing it for about a year now and our food storage has grown so much! i think it's such an overwhelming task if you think you have to do it all at once, but if you just tackle it little by little it's a cinch!! i also love pincning your pennies...and www.hip2save.blogspot.com..... i get 3 sunday papers a week to stock up on my coups... and you can get some from people at work or your parents...most peopel throw away their coupons...sorry for the ramble, but way to go!