Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Three years in the making

Three years and one week ago my brother, Nathan, left on his mission. On that day he gave each of our family members different challenges to work on while he was gone. Things like getting married, going to college, completing a triathlon, etc. He didn't give me any. And I felt bad. Even though this is not true, I felt like he didn't give me any because he didn't think I could accomplish anything.
And when I saw this picture of me standing next to my sisters at the MTC when we dropped Nathan off, it didn't help much either.



It just made me feel like a big, fat, ugly, worthless person standing next to my young, pretty, skinny sisters who seemed to have a much better life than me since they had these challenges given to them. And so on that day I decided I was going to do something about it. I thought, I'm going to show him!

So I started getting serious about losing weight. I figured that had to be what my problem was. (Now I realize that it wasn't, it was my pathetic attitude that day that was the problem.) Anyway, it's been a long time in the making, but today I finally reached my weight loss goal. I'm still not as skinny as my sisters, but it doesn't matter anymore. I'm healthy and I'm not overweight. That is what matters.

I'll be honest, sometimes it still bugs me that my sisters (and a lot of other people I know) eat whatever they want and don't exercise and they're still thinner than me. But I'm probably a lot healthier and more fit than most of them.
Anyway, this is me today...45 pounds lighter, a marathon finisher, married, a triathlete, almost graduated with my masters degree, working in a job that I (mostly) love, a published writer, and someone who hopefully has a little better attitude about herself than she did three years ago. (Even though Nathan didn't give me any challenges that day, I ended up accomplishing the ones he gave to everyone else! Go me!)

3 comments:

Kristen Brady said...

Go you is right! You are awesome - I just love your guts. Congrats on all the amazing accomplishments!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Skinny isn't healthy, it's true. Just because I am skinny, I have many friends that probably have a BMI that is higher than mine, but they are much healthier, and in much better shape than I am. I'm glad you realized it was your attitude that needed to change, not your weight. Even though you did reach your goal, and accompish everyone else's too!

Piccolina Designs said...

You are so awesome!!! I totally understand your feelings of being frustrated at people who don't seem to have to do anything to be skinny and I have to wake up at 3 am to do a 10 mile run and it still doesn't seem to do the trick :) Oh, but running and being active does so much more for me than the physical, I'm mentally more stable as well. I just think you are incredible for all that you have done (physical and mental). Keep it up, you actually do have people who look at you and want to be like you. You are the reason I took up running again after a year+ break. I wanted to be like you, and now I have even attempted a few tri's