Monday, October 27, 2008

Just shoot me now

I am NEVER having kids!!!! Yesterday was our Primary Program in church and my class was HORRIBLE!!!! I seriously wanted to strangle some little 5-year-old necks. I had two kids who pushed each other down every time they got up to sing because they were fighting over who got to sit in the end chair. I had another little girl wandering around the stand the whole time, sneaking notes in on the piano. Some others were standing on their chairs and hiding under the clerk's table. Two girls kept taking their shoes off. One girl wouldn't even sit with us and cried when I tried to get her to come sit by our class. Two of the kids were pinching each other and kicking each other. Most of them would not sing when it was their turn...they just jumped around and twirled around and pushed each other out of the way. Oh yeah, and one kid flipped off another kid. They totally did not deserve the pumpkin cookies that one of the presidency members brought them to reward them for doing a good job in the program.

Seriously, have their parents never heard of the word DISCIPLINE? Do they not care that their children are little hellions?

It took all I had to sit up there on the stand with them and not cry during the program. But I had to beeline it out of the church the second it was over before I lost it right there. Then, when I got home from church I had to spend some quality time with my punching bag.

I really am trying hard to have a good attitude about this calling, but I HATE IT! And I hate going to church because of it. I really miss that spiritual uplift that church used to bring me, but now it's just sheer stress. I know it is my own fault if I am not getting spiritual upliftment from church, but I don't know what else to try. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Please help me to not hate going to church!!

P.S. I taught Relief Society for a year before I got married. And Sunday School before that. And I loved it so much. I also love speaking in church, and I teach college kids every day at work. What is my problem with 5-year-olds?

7 comments:

Deb and AJ said...

My first experience after being married and teaching primary was terrible also. I was teaching the Targeteer class - they were like 10and ll yr. olds. They were so rude I started crying right in front of them. I didn't know how to relate to kids. After having my own - I learned how to be on their level. How to talk on their level. Maybe try stickers and a chart - at first give out a lot for someone just sitting for a certain amount of time, keeping their shoes on, etc. After so many sitcker they get a reward. Also participation. Holding a picture, getting to be the one to erase the board, etc. Depending upon when primary is during your meeting schedule - maybe at the beginning of your class - let them do a few songs - like hinges, or head shoulders, knees and toes - to get their wiggles out. I have cards that you could give out (they have a picture and a saying on them about being good today. Just be grateful its only one day a week and your not a kindergarten teacher. jk. I bet the congregation watching did not think it was as bad as you did. Hang in there - it will get better.

Cheryl said...

How old are these kids? Blake & I taught the 5 & 6 yr. olds for a while. It was very tough. One thing that really helped was to get the parents on board with the discipline. Then we would just tell the kids that we would have to talk to their parents (usually Dad) if they didn't sit down and behave.
And I'm sad we'll miss your Halloween party. That one we went to was SO MUCH FUN!

Danielle said...

When Mike and I were first married we taught the sunbeams. It all ended when I walked into the Bishop's office crying and asked to be released. I couldn't believe how these children's parents had raised them! No manners....a few short months later I had a child of my own. He is now three, and I take back all of the awful stuff that I ever said and thought about other people's kids. I think that I've learned that no matter how awful other people's kids are, yours will do something equally as horrific. Parker is a hellion sometimes and I just laugh and think of the little angels that we taught in primary a few years back. Oh, if only he were that well behaved. Just wait, my friend. HAHAHAHAHA (said in a wicked, suspensful laugh!)

Deb and AJ said...

I just e-mailed an article entitled "Primary Time: Handling a Difficult Class. Maybe that will help also.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I've got nothing for you, besides sympathy. I don't like teaching in Primary either, and if they ever tried to call me to Nursery.... at least when they are your own children, you can discipline them. Our Primary stopped letting the little ones sit on the stand. It's too hard for them to be reverant. Try to figure out why you were called to this position, besides being new in the ward, etc. Find out what it is the Lord wants you to learn from the experience, and remember this too shall pass. As for the spiritual strength, it might be awhile before that happens again. I'm still wondering when I will start feeling the Spirit and be uplifted again. Time and a season for everything, I suppose.

Kristen Brady said...

Kids can be so difficult at times. I would suggest asking a different parent to sit in each week and share their testimony about whatever the lesson is. That way the parents can see how their children behave (which will hopefully be better with their parent in the room), and feel like they are getting to contribute to the learning. It will probably only work though if you rotate around.

OR - you could get the Bishop involved and ask him to have the parents of the especially unruly ones sit in UNTIL their child has fixed their behavior. The parents will not appreciate missing Sunday School and 3rd hour week after week, and hopefully some more "teaching moments" will happen at home.

You know your ward better than I do, but those are two things I'd think about if you really feel like the parents are clueless about their children's behavior. Good luck - it's not easy! BUT REMEMBER - They may not remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel!

The Lively's said...

Tell them your moving..then you will get released! :) J/K By the way you say your never having kids then you tell me you would babysit. Are you crazy! Besides I don't know if I trust Matt he'll dope him up on mountain dew and who knows what else than hmmmm...blog about it! Maybe if Matt isn't around that would be could work. That was nice of you to offer. I was hinting at Michele but apparently she didn't read my blog! Oh I am totally joking so if this sounds mean I promise it is all written in fun!

Good luck with your class...my answer is your going to keep getting mad so you need to get the parents involved I was always afraid to say something to the parents and I wish I would have. Your not there to babysit! So tell the parents how there children are behaving. If Kyle was like that I would want to know and let me tell you that kid would be in Major, Major Trouble!!! You know those kids would be in big trouble if they acted like that at school. Oh the church website does have videos that explain how to handle disruptive children that also helped me! Best of Luck! Or just move!