Monday, October 20, 2008

The Homecoming/Wedding

This past weekend was a crazy busy one. Nathan came home from his mission in Louisiana on Thursday.
It is so great to have him home. We have missed him a lot. He gave his homecoming talk in church on Sunday and it was so wonderful to hear about his mission and all the people he was able to touch.

Laurie could barely walk so she insisted on making us go get her a wheelchair at the airport.

Nathan's flight was 4 hours late. Normally that would be fine, but Scott decided to plan his wedding on the same day. Nathan was supposed to get in at 12:45 but he didn't get there til 4:45. So we rushed from the airport to the tux shop so Nathan could get fitted for his tux and then off to the church in Bountiful for the wedding ceremony at 7.

So we made it to the church on time, went to the wedding ceremony and then listened to the pathetic BYU game on the way home. It was such a horrible, depressing game. Then on Friday we spent most of the day taking pictures and getting ready for the reception, which was that night at the Gallivan Center.

Their colors were brown, green, and orange. I thought that would turn out terrible, but it actually looked nice. Good thing Caron let me go shopping in her closet for something to wear because I did not have anything in any of those colors.

Matt was just excited that the Colorado State football team was staying in the hotel next door to the Gallivan Center. (Colorado State was playing Utah the next day.) He even went and spied on their team meeting.
We had to go to Temple Square on Friday to take pictures. (I'm not sure why they wanted to take pictures there when they didn't get married there??? Strange.) But it was kinda funny that Nathan just wanted to talk to the missionaries. And go to the Church Office Building.

And here is our usual dork picture. (OK, one of the many!)

At the reception they had a cardboard cutout of a bride and groom and made everyone take their picture in it. They also made everyone wear nametags that said their name and their relationship to the bride and groom on it.

We wrote funny things like "groom's favorite sister" and "the one they don't talk about" and "Scott's first wife". They had people put their nametags on a big posterboard so it was kind of like the signing book.

Matt was very excited for an excuse to wear his orange tie.

I am so lucky to have such a supportive husband. I had a very hard week and he was there for me the whole time.

Scott decided to cater his own wedding. I think he is nuts. He is a very good cook, but I still think it's nuts to cater your own wedding. It was a lot of work, but the food was delicious! He made two kinds of hummus with pita chips, turkey bacon wraps with a cranberry orange sauce, artichoke dip, these really yummy skewer things that were kinda like brushetta, fruit, and mint brownies.

If anyone wants to try any of it, we have a TON left.

We did our usual silly dancing. And I played with the babies. :)

They cut the cake and had surprise toasts. And they used my sparkler idea. I really wanted to have sparklers at my wedding for people to wave around while we ran out from the reception center to the carriage. But my reception center wouldn't let me do that. So they did it at theirs instead. It made me a little sad that we couldn't do it at ours because I knew it would be really cool. And it was. But at least we had bagpipes at ours. That was beyond cool.

By the end of the night, we were exhausted! That is why I am a big fan of hiring people to serve and clean up and stuff. We were all so tired!

Then on Saturday, Matt made us omelets for breakfast, and then we went to the Utah football game and to the bike shop and the Pie. It was a fun day. And we found me a road bike! I am so excited! I will probably be getting it this week!

Now I just need to wrap up the details for my murder mystery party on Saturday! I am so excited for it. I think I have found the perfect venue. And the perfect costume.

4 comments:

Kristen Brady said...

I'm so glad you guys survived everything! I just knew his plane would be late! :)

caron said...

Wow, way to get through it all. It sounds like fun though! And you can shop in my closet anytime. As long as yours is open, too :) Hopefully we'll be almost the same size for a while.
And I am looking forward to the murder mystery. My dress is almost done!! Woo hoo!!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I'm sorry that I live in Idaho. The murder mystery party I went to was tons of fun. You are amazing. And Matt's orange tie is AWESOME!!!

The Lively's said...

Sounds like a very fun but crazy weekend!