Monday, December 27, 2010

My favorite part of Christmas 2010

On Christmas Day, Emily was being quite the pill and would not take a nap. She was so tired and I knew she just needed a nap, but she didn't want to have anything to do with that. So for a good part of the day I sat with her in a room by ourselves just rocking her and singing Christmas hymns to her trying to get her to fall asleep. Although at first I was quite annoyed that she wouldn't go to sleep and I felt like I was missing out on what was going on downstairs, I began to be grateful for that moment. It helped me to remember that first Christmas night long ago when amid all the chaos happening in Bethlehem during tax season, there in a quiet stable, Mary was probably trying to rock her own little baby to sleep. There was so much happening all around, but the most important thing was happening in that quiet little stable. It helped me remember to forget about all the chaos and busyness that so often consumes our Christmases and remember what is really important, and just enjoy those peaceful moments. Thank you Emily for reminding me of the real meaning of Christmas and sharing that special moment with me.

No comments: