Friday, December 31, 2010

Last Day and New Years

My last day of work was last Wednesday. It was a bittersweet day. I can't decide if planning my last day to be during Christmas break was a good idea or not. It was good because I didn't get as sad because everyone was gone, but it was sad because everyone was gone and so it was kind of anticlimatic with no goodbyes or farewell parties or anything.

I really did love my job, and it is hard to give it up. I put a lot of my heart and soul into those programs and my students over the past 3 years, and it is really hard to let go of that. I'm proud of what I did there, and I loved seeing my students succeed and grow. I'm really going to miss them.

On the other hand, it has been nice not to have to leave Emily in the mornings. She has been doing a lot better now that she has been able to be on a more consistent schedule and I'm glad I don't have to miss out on her growing up. I was reading an article in the Ensign a few days ago that really helped me to feel peace about this whole thing. It was about a mom who had a sick baby, and she was at the hospital worrying about everything. She just felt this voice tell her not to worry, that things will be taken care of, and to just enjoy her baby. I know that is what I need to do...just enjoy her and trust in the Lord that He will take care of the rest.

And I honestly feel like I can more fully enjoy her and appreciate the time I have with her than I would have had I not gone back to work. But I also know it's going to be a whole new ball game as I end one season of life and learn how to enter a new one....cuz I've got A LOT to learn about being a mom.

We had a fun New Year's. At first I was sad because I wanted to get together with our friends, but most of them live in Salt Lake, and I didn't want to drag Emily up there and drive home in the wee hours of the morning. So that didn't work out. But instead we went over to my Grandma's and hung out with a bunch of cousins. I figured that would work better because then if Emily was having a hard time, we could just take her home since my Grandma lives so close. But Emily did great and actually slept through all the noise...fireworks, gunshots and all!

On New Year's, we had family pictures with my family, and Matt's family does this tradition of eating black-eyed peas and collard greens because his Grandpa was from Georgia and they always ate that on New Year's to ensure they had a financially prosperous year. Apparently the peas represent coins and the greens represent dollars. And we can definately use some financial help this year, so hopefully it works!

2010 has been a great year. One full of changes, but we are excited for what the next year will bring (and are crossing our fingers that everything will work out with me quitting my job and Matt finishing school and getting a new job.) I can honestly say that I have absolutely NO IDEA where our lives will be at this time next year. Which is kind of scary. I've always been a planner. But it looks like this time we'll just have to wait and see what the Lord has in store for our little family in 2011.

No comments: