Thursday, June 3, 2010

Georgia on my mind

Last week I went to Georgia to visit my sister, who is going to school there. It was a lot of fun. The first day I just hung out at the pool for most of the morning...it was fantastic! Then when Allison got off school, we drove up to the north Georgia mountains. I love driving through the country in the south...it is so beautiful and you always happen upon the most random things...like produce and boiled peanut stands!

Gotta love those boiled peanuts!


Along the way we decided to stop at the Cabbage Patch Kid General Hospital, where the Cabbage Patches are born. We got to witness a birth of a Cabbage Patch Kid.

It was hilarious! And the audience gets to name it.

We then went to Anna Ruby Falls, which was beautiful.

I had grits every morning for breakfast. Mmmm. And of course a trip to the south is not complete without a stop at the Waffle House!

We also went to Centennial Olympic Park and to the CNN building.

The Braves game had a 1 1/2 hour rain delay! They put this huge tarp over the field. But we had a lovely time cheering on the Braves while doing the tomahawk chop.

The next day we went to the Georgia Aquarium, which is supposedly the biggest aquarium in the world. It was super crowded! We then went to the most delicious cheesecake place I have ever been in my life. We ended the day at Stone Mountain Park, which has a southern plantation. The goats were trying to eat the tie stringy things on my shorts.

I just love the big southern plantation houses...they are so beautiful!

At Stone Mountain they have the most amazing laser and firework show. Stone Mountain is just this huge granite hill rising out from the middle of nowhere. They do the laser show on the face of the mountain and it's all about Georgia and life in the South and American pride. I just love it!

Sunday we went to Allison's ward, which is the same ward I went to when I lived there. I thought for sure there would be no one left that I knew, since it's been almost 7 years since I lived there. But there were still a few people left.

After church we went to Kennesaw Mountain Civil War Battlesite. It's one of my favorite places in Georgia. We had a lovely picnic. Here is my dad trying to open the pickles!

We hiked to the top of the "mountain" which is about a mile up the hill.

And once we got to the top it started to rain.

A lot. By the time we got back down, we were absolutely drenched!

On Monday, in honor of Memorial Day, we went to the Martin Luther King Jr Center that is all about the history of the Civil Rights Movement. We saw the church where he preached at, his home, and his grave.

We also went for a really nice walk along the Chattahoochee River before coming home. It was a really nice little vacation, and fun to visit Georgia again. I really did love it there. The only thing that would have been better is if Matt could have come. I came home to this waiting for me...

What a sweetie!

6 comments:

Beth said...

I love those beautiful plantation houses too.

Cheryl said...

I've never been to the South, but it looks so beautiful! And I love the baby decorations. So cute!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Oh, you just made me miss my childhood. When I lived in TN the first time (from K-5th grade) my dad lived in Georgia (Columbus) for awhile and my aunt and uncle also lived there (Warner Robbins) so we drove through that area a lot. I've seen the laser show at Stone Mountain, been to the Cabbage Patch, and have really fond memories of Kennesaw Mountain (at least one of my ancestors fought in that battle, and my dad has a picture of it hanging in his office). Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

caron said...

Please tell me that you sang "way down yonder on the Chatahoochee" while you walked. Please?
I'm glad you had fun!

singingrae said...

Fun! I loved all the pics, especially the before and after rain pics. Gotta love the southern-style instant downpours. We just had one today!

Heather said...

WOW, the let you fly this late in your pregnancy...I'm SERIOUSLY shocked!!!! Looks like you had a BLAST though, I miss the South! :