Monday, January 12, 2009

Weddings and Funerals

We had a very busy weekend. Our good friends Tyler and Almarie got married this weekend, and we attended all of their wedding festivities. It was a lot of fun. Matt and I started dating around the same time that they did, so it was kinda fun to have another couple who was "in the same boat" as us.

The best part is that last January when we were making New Year's Resolutions and I made mine to make every effort to get married, Almarie made hers to flirt more. We then decided that her first target should be Tyler. I'm telling you...don't underestimate the power of New Year's Resolutions! And Almarie got my bouquet at my wedding.

Anyway, they are so fun and we are so happy for them. We unfortunately didn't get many good pictures. Oh well.

Also this weekend, I attended my step-grandfather's funeral. That was weird. It was weird to hear everyone talk about how great he was when he really wasn't great at all to me. I always felt a little bit forgotten by my grandma, and I felt like when she married him she focused most of her attention on his family and forgot about us even more. But I am glad that he loved my grandma and made her feel special and important. But actually over the past few years, I have felt like the relationship between my grandma and me has been improving a lot. And maybe it had something to do with him.

We got a new class in Primary. We are still teaching the 5-year-olds, but with the new year we got a new class. They are SO MUCH BETTER than our class last year. I don't dread going to Primary anymore. I still don't love it, but I feel like I have definately made progress.

Yesterday we made them little crowns and told them that their chairs were thrones and that princes and princesses love to sit quietly in their thrones. They sat in their chairs the whole time! We also told them that they needed to put anything they brought with them under their thrones or else it would have to go in the dungeon. I didn't see them get a single thing out and be distracting with it. I guess we just need to be more imaginative. This has definately been a learning experience.

1 comment:

singingrae said...

Hooray! That's progress if I've ever heard it! Congrats!
Also, I thought your thoughts about Mel's funeral were really interesting. It was strange to hear all about him when we only knew him so briefly. I felt like the funeral gave me a glimpse into the man he really was, without the illness. I'm grateful too that he made Grandma feel so special and loved.