Friday, January 30, 2009

Interesting stuff

This week I have been in St. George for a work conference. I decided that while I was there I should go to the temple since I have never been to that one. It just happened to be my aunt and uncle's stake temple night, and I went with my Aunt Theresa and Grandpa Russ and AnnaLou. In the chapel meeting before the session, the stake president was talking about all these interesting facts about the St. George temple. It was so cool to learn all of that. And it was so perfect because I had never been.

Here's what he said:

-The St. George Temple was the first operating temple in Utah and the first temple to perform endowments for the dead.

-Brigham Young was the architect and he designed a steeple for the temple, but while he was in SLC for the summer, the builder went against Brigham Young's wishes and built a different steeple and it got struck by lightning and burned so he had to build it again and this time he did it Brigham Young's way.

-this temple has the most sealing rooms out of any other temple (18 total).

-When they were digging the hole for the foundation, they hit swampy land and so the foundation is really deep and strong.

-They built the temple out of red sandstone and then painted it white. They still have to whitewash it all the time to keep it white.

-The temple work for all the Founding Fathers of the USA was done in this temple by Wilford Woodroof after he had a vision of George Washington asking him to please do their work for them.

Anyway, I just thought it was so cool to learn all of that stuff. Plus, the veil room before you go into the celestal room was absolutely amazing. I thought it was one of the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen in my life. And it was fun to be there with my grandpa and AnnaLou and my aunt.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Looks like you've had a busy season. Happy new year to you. Good luck with all your resolutions. If I could guess what the 10th one would be I think I would be right:) But I could be wrong.

singingrae said...

Hey! I love the picture of the temple. How beautiful! St. George is my favorite temple. I love to go through a session there! Glad you were able to go.

Heather said...

What cool and interesting facts about the St. George temple. Isn't it fun to go and learn so much about where you're doing work?!? OH and email me, we'd love to get that tape onto CD for you, it doesn't take too long...it's a fairly quick process.
heather@bornclassified.com

Debra said...

Seriously, the original steeple got struck by lightning? wow. That is the most amazing story!

I love learning about the different temples and their history. I've never been to the St. George one, I guess I've got to head down there and do a session.