Tuesday, January 6, 2009

An interesting day

Working at BYU doesn't really give me much of an opportunity to talk about the church to people who are not members of it. But yesterday I spent the day with a girl from Canada who was here at BYU on business. She had tons of questions about BYU and Mormons and the church. It was so fun.

The best thing was that she read some stuff online about "proper etiquette while meeting Mormons" and some of it was so funny! Most of it was true like stuff about how we don't drink alchohol or smoke and that we dress pretty conservatively and we don't swear or have premarital sex. But some of the things were so funny like she said she read about how Mormons have chaperones on dates. I wonder who started that rumor! It's just funny to me sometimes the things that get spread around about our religion.

But it also made me remember that I do believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. I know that the doctrine taught in the church is true. And I am so grateful to have that knowledge and direction in my life. I know that we have a living prophet to guide us. I know that he receives revelation directly from God. I know that the Book of Mormon is a true book of scripture along with the Bible. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and through him we can truly become clean. And I know that anyone who wants to know this can find out for themselves if it's true or not. Because God cares about you and he will tell you if you just ask. Isn't it great?!

1 comment:

singingrae said...

It's so funny to meet people here in KY and find out what they have heard about Mormons. For example, tonight our neighbors had us over for dinner and when we got there they asked us what we'd like to drink. They said they had milk, water, and caffeine-free coke, because they heard from their extended relatives that we don't drink caffeine. I guess the researched us before we showed up. It makes me laugh. At least they didn't ask if we have horns!