Monday, July 12, 2010

Not so bad

I am very grateful that being pregnant hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I heard lots of horror stories about how awful it was, and although it definately hasn't been the easiest thing, it really hasn't been that hard for me. I'm so grateful that I haven't been sick, I haven't really had mood swings or crazy emotions, I haven't really had any cravings, I haven't had to be on bed rest. I've pretty much been able to do most of my normal functions for most of my pregnancy. I'm a very lucky girl. Here I am at 38 weeks...I can't believe I only have less than 2 weeks til she's due!

I pretty much live in my running shoes these days since they seem to help with my swollen feet. I really don't understand why most pregnant ladies wear flip flops...they make my feet swell much worse! Oh well...everyone's different!

There have been a few things that I didn't expect that have been worse than I thought. 1) I did not expect to be so nervous and scared about becoming a mom. 2) I expected people to be nicer to pregnant ladies. Seriously, people cut in front of me in line all the time. And I just thought people would be more considerate like giving up their chair or opening the door or offering to help, especially when it's obvious that I am struggling with something. 3) I didn't expect to have zero support for our decision for me to keep working. I wasn't really prepared for all the people who keep telling me what a terrible decision that is. But I just need to not worry so much about other people and worry more about having a good attitude and doing what I feel is best.

But other than that and a little overheating and swollen legs, I am so very grateful for an easier-than-expected pregnancy. Next time, I will do a few things differently though to be more healthy. Like although I've been pretty good about exercising consistently throughout the whole pregnancy, I know I could have done better. I also could have eaten better (like not having ice cream every night!) And I also want to work on strengthening my back and abs before I get pregnant again so they will be more prepared to handle the extra weight and pressure.

Did I mention how much I love my running shoes?! So, funny story...for some reason that I don't understand, sister misssionaries have a tradition to dress up like a pregnant lady and take a picture at their 9-month mark (halfway through the mission). So of course, I did too. And I even got my "hijita" (greenie) on that exact day. I tracked down the picture just for kicks...

Ha ha! Don't you just love mission pictures? Funny thing is that I currently weigh about the same as I did then. Yikes! But I do remember how nervous I was to train a new missionary, but when she came I loved her so much and all I wanted was for her to be happy and have a good experience. And I was willing to sacrifice a lot in order for her to have that. So I guess I have a teeny little glimpse of what motherhood might be like. And it was worth all the sacrifices.

8 comments:

a{Jo} said...

Hey Christy...I support you! You need to do what is right for your family. I didn't realize when I was pregnant how passionate people are in relation to the topic of raising kids. Most people have a different and very passionate opinion on everything from labor and delivery, to co-sleeping, to pacifiers, to diet...it doesn't just stop at the issue of staying at home versus working! Just know that you know your family and needs best, and don't let anyone tell you that their way is better. Go with what is best for your family and do it with confidence...it will work out best for you if you follow your heart and if you are prayerful about it. And, if you end up changing your mind about something...anything in relation to raising your kids...that is okay too! There is no one correct way to do things because everyone's circumstances are different. You are awesome and you will be an awesome momma!

The Lively's said...

Hey, you have support on your choice to work! Us, my sister and matts family so technically....you have some support! Besides it's no one elses biz but yours what you do! You'll be a good mom! Enjoy these last weeks of peace and quiet because it will never hear that again very often!
; )

Melissa said...

Good luck from all of us in the weeks to come! And good job making the right choice for your family even though everyone says it's the wrong one. As long as you're doing what you know is right for your family, that's all that matters. I think that people sometimes forget that not everyone's situation is the same and what works for some, won't be the best for others...

Unknown said...

I agree with the folks above! I'm sure you and Matt put a lot of thought into these decisions, and this is what is best. You're going to be a great mom, and as long as the baby is healthy and happy you're doing what is right!! I'm super excited to welcome my very first niece into the world :) I keep telling Scott "Any day now"

Kristen Brady said...

A few things.....
First, I think you are SO adorable as a preggo! Just saying!
Second, don't worry about what other people think - those decisions are between you, Matt, and the Lord. I know you know how to make right choices, so I support you in whatever you decide to do.
Finally, I was equally scared, and I think everyone else is also (whether or not they choose to admit it). Your experience will be very personal and different from everyone else, but I can tell you something that is universal - IT IS WORTH IT! Also, Heavenly Father will help you. Emily is His daughter as well, and He will be an integral part of her life if you ask Him to be. I'm so excited for you and this adventure. You're going to be a great mom.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

You'll do great. Having a baby is nerve-racking, for sure, but you'll be fine. And even though people haven't been supporting your decision, you know what is best for your family, and that's all that matters. And I know you made it a matter of prayer, and as long as you have the support of Matt and Heavenly Father, that's all that really matters, right? Good luck with everything!

Cheryl said...

You look cute!

And try not to worry too much--just know that pregnancy hormones have way more effect than you realize. And for some reason people can't keep out of your business once you have a baby. So, just ignore anyone who's critical and believe everyone who's complimentary. And above all trust in the Spirit and yourself--you'll be a great mama!

Lisa Heinrichs said...

I think it is great that you will work!!!!!! Because it will help you and your family later on down the road.I think you're awesome. I understand the feeling of being a new mom I am right there with you. I am glad that I will have you as an example when our kiddo comes around.
Keep your head up and remember your not alone and we are all here to help you. Big hugs!