Monday, February 15, 2010

Pregnancy

I want to make sure I write down some of the details of my pregnancy before I forget them. I am 17 1/2 weeks along right now. We had been wanting to have a baby since last May, but weren't able to get pregnant until November. It was SO FRUSTRATING. Month after month and it was always negative. I wondered if it would ever happen. We just wanted a baby so badly and felt it was time to start our little family. We first found out right after we moved to Springville...around mid-November. I was so busy moving and stuff that I'd kinda forgotten about it. We were so excited. I felt pretty normal until about the end of November and then I just started feeling extra tired. Seriously, I could sleep 10-11 hours a night and be fine! Luckily I never really had morning sickness. I had to have something in my stomach all the time, so I just kept eating little snacks throughout the day. I couldn't eat any big meals or else I would feel sick. But as long as I did that I was just fine.

I have only thrown up 1 1/2 times. Once was after eating breakfast one day, but I really think that was just a fluke. And the half of a time was when I was brushing my teeth. Just a little bit came up. During this pregnancy I have had some gag reflexes when I am brushing my teeth. Kinda weird.

I haven't really had any food cravings or aversions. One time I took a bite of a banana and couldn't eat the rest. But I've eaten bananas since then and been fine. I used to have a pretty bad sweet tooth before I was pregnant, and that has gone down a lot. I would rather have something salty or crunchy than sweet now.

I didn't gain any weight until about 14 weeks, and then I have gained a lot. I've gained about 6 pounds total. I can still fit into most of my clothes, but they're getting a bit snug. That is a hard thing for me. Just when I got to be a normal weight, I get fat again. I still exercise, but not nearly as much as I used to. And I miss it. I just feel lazy and lethargic. But when I try to run, I can only make it about 2.5 miles. And it's hard for me to exercise more than 30-40 minutes these days. That's a lot less than the hour I was doing before. I'm just trying to do my best.

My back has started hurting a little the past 2 weeks or so, and it hurts to lie on my back or my stomach lately so I've had to just lie on my side. I haven't felt the baby move yet. Or at least I don't think I have. I feel random jabs and pains in my stomach occasionaly, but I think that's just the growing and stretching.

We find out in a couple of weeks the gender. Matt thinks it's a boy, I think it's a girl. Some names we like right now are: Girls: Emily, Emma, Sariah, Rebekah, Megan, Katelyn. Boys: Zach, Alex, Jackson, Eric, David, Charlie.

Matt thinks it's funny to sing the Utah fight song to my stomach. Anyway, we are very excited to welcome this new baby into our family. Sometimes 9 months seems like an eternity to wait!

5 comments:

Melissa D said...

I vote Eric for the boy! :)

Ok dear, 6 lbs??? Thats nothing!! Just remember, (at least my dr told me this) that it is unhealthy for your baby if you don't gain around 25 lbs. (if you are a normal weight that is, which you are!)

My dr told me i was under weight and I had to gain 40lbs. YA. Now I am just FAT cuz i can't get it off.....ok so maybe I should try harder....but still. I have NEVER HAD to try...It just came off. So now, maybe you should give me some fitness lessons. lol :)

Danielle said...

Craving salty foods huh? It's a boy! I craved salty with both my boys. Actually, with Parker I ate like 3 "big hunks" a day for the first few months and then I got sick on one and couldn't eat sweets after that...even with Drew. SO, my guess is that is is definitely a boy!! :)
Honey, 6 lbs is nothing. You are doing great.

Christy said...

I think 6 pounds is a lot to gain in just 3 weeks. The doc says I should be gaining about 1 pound per week after the first trimester--not 2! If I continue at this rate, I'm gonna be HUGE!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Have you tried doing some low impact exercise, like Pilates or Yoga? And remember, your body is changing, so you won't be able to exercise like you used to. Plus, it won't feel comfortable to run when you are 6-9 months pregnant. And bouncing belly is not fun! Just do what you can, when you can, for as long as you can. And, as long as you are eating right, and still exercising some, hopefully all your weight gain will be baby and you will lose it after the baby is born.

Jonny said...

Everybody gains a different weight amount, but also at different times during their pregnancy. Just because you gained two pounds one week, doesn't mean you'll gain two pounds every week. With Sam I gained quite a bit at the beginning and then it tapered off. Also, that gagging with brushing the teeth is TOTALLY normal and common. Good luck!
-nat