Monday, May 11, 2009

5 days

We are ready! Our marathon is this Saturday and we're as ready as we're gonna get. Our longest training run was 20 miles, and that was really hard so we hope we're gonna make it that extra 6.2. The training program we used said that was all we needed before the race so we're taking their word for it. The final 2-3 weeks leading up to the race are supposed to be tapering weeks, so we've gradually been decreasing the mileage. Saturday we did an easy run of 6.5 miles and this week we're only supposed to run twice for no more than 20-30 minutes.

My legs are back to normal, although Matt's have been giving him a bit of trouble. We're healthy. We've stocked up on Powerade and Clif Bars. We've planned our meals out for the week and have plenty of pasta and baked potatoes in the line-up. We've got a hotel up Ogden Canyon, just a few miles from the start line, thanks to my dad. We've got our knee braces and we're all set up to get our knees taped up by my dad's physical therapist friend on Friday afternoon. I bought a cute new running outfit for the occasion (you know, for motivation!), and I have my lucky charm all ready to go...

My speedy socks! I've been saving them specifically for the marathon. They're gonna give me that extra little something I'm gonna need. And last but not least, we are ready to unleash our SECRET WEAPON! We practiced it last week and it worked like a charm.

All we've got left to do is find a good pasta place in Ogden for dinner Friday night. And a place for our post-marathon feast on Saturday afternoon! Any suggestions?

So please pray for us that we will be able to finish injury-free. And pray for my dad to get better. He got sick last week and is still coughing up a storm. My dad and brother are running with us, and my mom is doing the 5K.

And please come and watch us! We need all the support and cheering we can get. Some places to watch are: Eden Park (using alternate route over North Ogden Divide); The mouth of Ogden Canyon on 12th Street; Ogden Parkway - by Dinosaur Park, Rainbow Gardens or the Timbermine Restaurant; 24th and Grant Street; or the Finish Line at 25th Street. You can find a course map and race specifics at the marathon website. The race starts at 7 a.m., but no spectators are allowed until Mile 13, so you don't even have to get up that early. And it will probably take us 2.5 hours to get to Mile 13.

Finally, I am taking guesses on how long it will take us to finish. The person who guesses the closest to our actual finishing time will win a prize!

P.S. If I die during this marathon, it must be my time to go. :) It's been great knowing ya!

"The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to he that endureth to the end."

3 comments:

Bekah said...

3 hrs 47 mins.

I don't know if that is good or bad so don't get offended please.

Good Luck

Hopefully I'll see you in June

Piccolina Designs said...

I'm actually getting nervous for you. You know that if I were there I would be out cheering you on. This is such an incredible accomplishment for you. Way to go!!! I'm calculating my time based on your Moab time and knowing that Ogden is a fast course, so I am saying 5 hours and 13 minutes (you are incredible to run that long, someday I will be as cool as you). Good luck!!!!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

5:28:47

Good luck.