Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day

First things first....my Grandpa Russ was in town for Hope's funeral and my other cousin's wedding (it was a busy week!) and I finally had the mind to get a picture of the kids with him. Of course they didn't want to cooperate, but at least I got one!

My Grandpa Russ is a pretty cool guy. He still hikes all over Southern Utah (at 85!) and even went skydiving for his last birthday. I love going to visit and having him take me on a hike. And he tells great stories.

Next up, Mother's Day. If you remember last year, I was dreading Mother's Day because I was feeling guilty that I was a lousy mom. This year, a miracle has happened. I don't feel guilty anymore. I don't know when it happened, but I'd say for the past couple of months, I have really felt like I have been a lot better at embracing motherhood. Sure, I have my moments, but I really feel like there has been a change.

I can't pinpoint what it is, and it's probably a plethora of things. Things like accepting the fact that I'm just not going to get a good night's sleep, trying to be more proactive at coming up with activities to do with the kids, realizing that I choose to work 8-ish hours a week (from home) and so I don't have as much "free time" as other moms to cook elaborately or clean elaborately or craft elaborately or whatever. And I've started increasing my exercise, which not only makes me feel better, but gets me out of the house more often for a break.

And I read this book:



It's pretty much amazing. It helped me to see that it's ok that I'm not doing everything I feel I should be doing. And it reflects on the role of Christ in our mothering efforts. Loved it!

I had a great Mother's Day. Emmy and Zach (and Matt) gave me some flowers, a book, and a cover for my new tablet. They made me some pancakes for breakfast and we had a great time.

After breakfast we went over to my parents' house to talk to my brother Kyle in Russia on his mission. It was fun! Emmy was so excited to go talk to Uncle Kyle and then when we got there, she wouldn't say anything. Oh well.

At church, we had another great lesson in Relief Society about the example of our own mothers in our lives. It made me remember that even though my mom is not perfect (although she probably is nearly perfect!), she was a great example and teacher to me. And even though I'm not perfect, I can be a good example to my own kids and they will overlook my imperfections and think I'm great and love me anyway, just like I love my own mom.

Zach found this rubber duckie and was using it as a binkie! Ha!
After church we went to Matt's moms for a yummy dinner. It was a great Mother's Day and I'm grateful for my two little munchkins who are helping me realize the happiness that being a mom can bring. Even though they drive me crazy at times, I wouldn't trade them. And I'm grateful for Matt for all he does to help me be a mom.

No comments: