Thursday, January 7, 2010

Costa Rica: The Wildlife

There was a lot of cool wildlife in Costa Rica. We went to two different national parks in hopes of seeing some. We also saw lots of birds and stuff just walking and driving around. It was fun to wake up every morning to lots of different birdie sounds. Anyway, we spent a lot of time craning our necks to see what there was up in the trees.

One of the things I most wanted to do was see a colorful bird! We saw quite a few actually. They really are very beautiful. My favorite was when we saw two scarlet macaws flying overhead.

There was this random pig on Tortuga Island. It had small tusks even. But it was not vicious at all.
This was really cool. All those green things are pieces of leaves being carried by ants. I have never seen that before. Seriously, there was a huge line of ants carrying these leaves down the path. Apparently they use them as fertilizer to grow mushrooms to eat. Interesting.

These crocodiles were just hanging out in the Tarcoles River.

One of my other big things I wanted to do was to see a monkey. We saw two different kinds. A white-faced monkey and a black monkey. The white ones were very playful. They were swinging through the trees and scratching themselves with palm leaves. They were super cute. The black ones made this awful noise like a lion. Seriously, I didn't know a little monkey could make a sound like that. We were in the jungle one day by ourselves hiking around and we heard one. I thought something scary was going to pop out of the woods and eat us! But it was a lazy monkey!

They were really fun to watch.

These were some bats hanging out on a leaf. Apparently they eat a lot of mosquitos.

We saw this big spider and Matt took like 12 pictures of it. He is terrified of spiders and when I said I wanted to go to Costa Rica the first thing he said was, "But they have big spiders there!" The funniest part was when we were hiking through one of the national parks, he was walking with a paper held out in front of him to break down any spider webs that might have been in the way.

We saw a spider in the hallway of the condos we were staying at. I had to kill it. We also found a dead scorpion in our condo the first night. It must have been a fluke because we didn't see any other bugs the whole time in there and it was very clean. But it was scary!

We saw several sloths, but most of them were super boring. This was was actually moving (very slowly) so it was fun to watch.
We also saw several different kinds of birds.

And a few different kinds of lizards. It was kind of funny when we were driving and would see large iguanas crossing the road.

These pelicans were fun to watch. They would dive bomb into the ocean. And there were these other birds that just flew around over the jungle.

We also saw some type of ray in the ocean. It was so cool. It would jump out of the water and flap its wings and then plop back down in the water. The scary part was that when I saw the first one, it was about 15 feet away from where Matt was swimming. I also think I got stung by a jellyfish. I felt something sting me in the water and then like a minute later my entire arm was covered in hives.

We saw a bunch of these birds just on the side of the road. And we also saw a toucan, but didn't get any pictures of it. It was fun to see all these animals that I have never seen before in the wild.

1 comment:

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Those macaws are gorgeous. It would be way cool to see all those animals in the wild. I'll bet a zoo just doesn't compare.