Thursday, August 20, 2009

I broke it!

So as part of this conference that I am working on we have this lesson where the students break wooden boards. They write their goals and ambitions on one side and then on the other side they write their fears and obstacles that are getting in the way of reaching their goals. And then they break through the board with their bare hands. It shows that they can break through their fears to reach their goals. Pretty cool.

Anyway we decided to have a practice session before we make the freshmen break these boards. You know...just to make sure that the boards are breakable. All my students (like 6 of them tried) were able to break the board just fine. And then I tried. And I failed. I could not break it. I tried multiple times with no luck. And my hand hurt for three days. One of my students kept bringing the board into my office every couple days and would say things like, "time to defeat the board..." and other things. Still, no success.

We even came up with an alternate way for the students to break the boards with their foot if they were weaklings like me and we talked about how we are going to console those who feel like failures if they can't break it. So maybe it was a good thing that I couldn't do it so we could prepare for stuff like that.

Anyway, yesterday I BROKE IT!!!!! With my hands! I'm not a weakling! Yay for me!

2 comments:

singingrae said...

Congrats! I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to do it with my hand or my foot. Maybe my head....

Cici said...

We're breaking boards at FOL? For real? Crazy!

I took karate when I was in kindergarten and progressed pretty far up the scale. When it came time for me to take my brown belt test, where you break a board, my sensai got in a fight with another dojo and had to sell his dojo.

I guess this will be my time to see if I really would have made it to my brown belt.