Monday, November 18, 2013

The biggest, fattest, shockingest shock of my life

On Sunday, October 13 the executive secretary comes up to us right before church and said that the bishop wanted to talk to us really quick after sacrament meeting. I didn't think anything of it. I have been teaching the marriage and family relations class in my ward this year and it's not over yet. And everyone loves my class. So of course I wasn't getting a new calling. I had to finish out the year teaching the rest of the marriage and family lessons.

So we go in to the bishop's office (after the kids had been rotten in sacrament meeting, btw) and he says, "Christy, we'd like you to serve as our new ward Primary President." (I might add that the Primary Program was that same day too.) WHAT THE ????!!!! I about fell off my chair. I was so shocked I really didn't know what to say. So I just sat there, dumbfounded, looking at the bishop like he had lost his mind.

Then I finally mustered up enough composure to say, "No thanks." I mean seriously, me? Primary President? That has got to be some sort of joke. Kids are not exactly my strong point. Like at all. I'm not good with kids, I don't relate to them well at all, I struggle terribly with my own...let alone other people's kids...and let alone a whole room full of them.

Anyway, I tried to tell the bishop all of that, when of course I just start bawling and lose all composure. And then he just said, "Well, will you at least think about it?" So I agreed to think about it. I immediately left church and cried the rest of the day. And the next day.

A few days later I called my friend, Audrey, who I remember posting on her blog awhile back some of these same feelings. Anyway, she calmed me down and helped me get into a better state of mind to at least start to think about this.

Then the next Sunday the bishop came over and asked if I had decided yet. I still couldn't say yes. It took me a good 2 weeks to even think about possibly saying yes.

Anyway, so...long story short, I finally said yes, and I am absolutely terrified!!!! I have no problem speaking in church, teaching college, conducting leadership trainings, teaching Sunday School or Relief Society, but put me in front of a bunch of kids and I have no clue what to do and I freak out. I have enjoyed teaching the marriage and family relations class, and I was really sad to get released from that.

I have no clue whatsoever about anything Primary. My poor counselors probably think I'm nuts.

And, I don't know what we're going to do with Zach. He doesn't go to nursery til April. And Emily will be coming into Sunbeams in Jan. I can just see a disaster happening when I am up there doing sharing time and she will throw a fit about sitting with her class.

This is definitely going to be a big challenge for me. I need some serious help. Please pray for me. A lot. I'm willing to serve where I'm needed...I'm just gonna need some major help.

P.S. For more info on Primary or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, click here.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I think that God calls us to the callings that stretch us the most for a reason. You'll come out the other side a more complete Christy. As far as your kids go, I was worried about having my young kids while I've been serving in primary (especially with a new born & nursing), but so many people will be willing to step up and help, and don't be afraid to ask friends/husband to watch them for you during the times you are busy. I had so many people step up and offer to take Meg when Roy and I both had to teach, and they even let Finn go to nursery a few months early to help us out. You'll figure it out, and be awesome!

Bethany said...

You will do great! Take it from someone who has been Primary President 3 times (3 different wards) in the past 7 years and who cried every time the calling was extended. Put other people to work helping with your little one, and know that Emily WILL likely be a handful at first with mommy in primary with her but know that it calms down and they learn quickly. There are GREAT resources all over the internet--call me if you want to talk through ideas at all! :)

Danielle said...

Haha! I just got released from that.:). I felt overwhelmed at first too, but I have to say, I loved it. I loved the kids, loved teaching them and learning from them. It was so much fun! You will love it too. Rely on your councilor sand The Lord and you will do great! Good luck.