Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The successes and failures of Lent

So we didn't make it all the way through Lent with giving up sugar. Lent was 6.5 weeks and we only made it 4.5. We did really well for the first month, but when we moved everything pretty much just fell apart. First of all, by then I was so sick and my doctor told me to try drinking ginger ale and eating gingersnap cookies to help ease the nausea. I was desperate, and willing to try anything, so I gave in and started sipping ginger ale all day long and munching on gingersnaps. I don't even like soda or gingersnaps very much! But seriously, anything was better than being sick all the time. And it helped some.

Then, when we moved in, some of the neighbors brought us treats. People never bring me treats and I've always wanted them to! So I gave in to the neighborly welcome gifts.

But instead of choosing to look at it as an epic failure because we choked the last 2 weeks, I'm choosing to look at it as we went a month with no sugar. That's still pretty good.

We also only made it 2.5 weeks on Jillian's Ripped in 30 workout program. We did really well for the first half. And then Matt cracked his rib playing basketball and I started puking all day, and so we quit.

This is the hard one for me. I really, really wanted to get back in shape before getting pregnant again. And I just waited too long to get serious about it and lose that last 10 pounds of baby weight. So here I am, sick as a dog, unable to exercise much, puking up every vegetable I attempt to eat, and about 10-15 pounds heavier than I was before I got pregnant with Emily. I feel like a cow. And it's just going to get worse before it can get better.

But I also know that I just need to accept it and deal with it, instead of dwelling on it for the next 6 months and being miserable. I just don't quite know how to do that. But I have already declared 2013 as the Year of Fitness because this time I am not going to procrastinate losing that weight and getting back in shape. And I will try to have as healthy of a pregnancy as I can, and hopefully I will be able to eat vegetables again soon and quit drinking soda again. And exercising.

4 comments:

Lisa Heinrichs said...

GOOD JOB on NOOOOO sugar for a month!!! that's GREAT. Being sick and pregnant is hard. I know you didn't have it so much with Emmy, but take it easy and if you have to drink soda the whole time so be it. I had a hard time cause I was so sick and felt like Kenzie got zero nutrition. She just took it all from
me. Hey maybe you lose those 10 lbs first from being sick. Keep your chin up. Love you and MISS U

The Lively's said...

Sorry you haven't felt well! They have an essential oil that is pure Ginger and is for what your dealing with. It could be a healthier alternative if your worried about drinking pop and stuff! I know it sounds weird but all you do is drop a couple drops on your belly and rub it in. I use oils on Kyle & Derek's tummies when they are sick & it works for them! Good luck!

Btw...glad to see Em playing in her Tu Tu! : )

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I'm sorry you are feeling so sick. That's a real bummer. But good job on at least having some goals. You might want to try ginger tea, instead of drinking all that ginger ale. And I'll bet you have a boy. I was sicker with my boy, and know of several other people that were too. Good luck with everything!

Kristen Brady said...

Way to go going that long without sugar. Like you, I was not back to where I wanted to be when I got pregnant the second time. It's going to be okay, I promise. That being said, I'm very serious about needing to lose more weight this time before I allow myself to get pregnant again. For you now, the best thing to do is not worry about it - do whatever you need to do to keep you and that precious baby healthy!