Monday, June 29, 2009

27 students, 6 advisers, 1 black bear, 2 charging bison, and 3 sleepless nights

Last weekend we had our annual BYUSA officer retreat. We took all the officers for the upcoming year up to Yellowstone for some training and fun. I am very impressed with this year's group...they are so amazing and ready to serve. They seriously inspire me and I am so grateful to be able to work with such wonderful students. We had a blast at Yellowstone.

The scenery was absolutely gorgeous. I loved the pine trees and rivers and canyons and meadows. Seriously so beautiful. We accidently took a wrong turn and went way out of the way of where we were supposed to be (oops!) but we had so much fun!

We saw some bison up on a hill so we got out of the van and started taking pictures. All of a sudden, the buffalo turned and started running down the hill straight at us! It was all I could do to run back to the van and jump inside. Some of the students were around the corner making snow angels so I was praying they wouldn't come back while the buffalo was mad! Luckily we all make it back in the van before any damage was done. It was kinda scary though!

I decided to dress up as a junior ranger!

We had this photo scavenger hunt we were supposed to do while in Yellowstone. We got creative with our photos! So fun! Just so no one thinks my job is all play, we taught several leadership principles throughout the trip and at all the Yellowstone stops.

The last time I went to Yellowstone, I was grumbling the whole way because I was 14 and absolutely did not want to go there for our family vacation. I even made up a poem about how much I didn't like it.

This time I loved it! And I want to go back with Matt. I wish we could have spent more time there because it was so great.

But it was a very long drive and we spent a very long time in the vans. The BYU vans have this little device in them that talks to you if you are speeding or not wearing your seatbelt or something. It was going crazy! "Speeding violation. Speeding violation." Even though I was not speeding. I figured out how to muffle the voice with my sweatshirt. :)

There was a coyote that kept weaving across the road. It was acting like it was drunk.

And of course we saw the geysers and the hot pots.

Even though we were driving a lot, it was so beautiful. And there was such a variety of landscapes.

We saw a black bear! They really do exist! It was like 100 yards off the road. So cool.

And there were some buffalo running up the road. So funny.

This was one of my favorite spots...Artist Point. Absolutely amazing.

And of course we had to see Old Faithful.

I did have to go to my online class part of the day. My students told me I should just tell my teacher that the bear ate my laptop. So when I saw this shirt in the gift shop I about died! So funny!

Anyway, it was so great. We also met up with the student leaders at BYU-Idaho and did lots of trainings for the students and stayed in this Mafia cabin that had secret rooms. The whole bookshelf swinging out of the wall thing. It was kinda creepy. I am beat though...those kids sure did wear me out!

4 comments:

caron said...

I think we need to hear the poem.

The Lively's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa D said...

We went to Yellow Stone two years ago and did not see ONE stinking animal! How did you guys luck out??

And yes, the poem....I am sure I have heard it before....I need a reminder tho. You were especially skilled at poem writing back in your early teen years! :)

Christy said...

I have no idea where the poem is but I will look. It was in Limerick form. :)

So Britni asked how we pay for stuff like this. All of BYU is funded 70% by the church (that means tithing funds) and 30% by student tuition and fees. The student leadership budget comes from a combo of those two sources.

Our student leaders work throughout the year to serve other students by putting on events and programs such as Homecoming, clubs, a student advisory council that works with the administration to give student imput on campus issues, promotes the BYU Honor Code, provides other campus activities, and tons of stuff that benefits all students who want to participate. They are all volunteers and are not paid for their service.

Because of all the things they are expected to do throughout the year, we feel it is important to adequetly train them prior to their year of service, which is why we take them on a retreat. We teach them leadership principles, planning techniques, unity, and tons of other principles.

The money that we spend is approved by the president of the university, who is a member of the Quorum of the 70. We realize that the money that our budget comes from is a blessing and we treat it that way. We are held accountable for it ultimately by the prophet.

I am so grateful to have these resources as I know many other schools do not.

After coming back from this retreat, my students are different people. Seriously, I can tell a difference. And I know they are now much better prepared to carry out their responsibilities this year.