Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bountiful Baskets

So in an effort to accomplish my New Years resolutions of eating more fruits and veggies and doing better at meal planning, I decided to try out Bountiful Baskets. If you don't know what it is, it's a produce co-op where you basically sign up to buy a bunch of fruits and veggies in bulk with like 40 other people and then share them among the group.

It's $16.50 each time you do it. You can do it every week, but I'm thinking I might do it every other week because you get a ton of stuff that should last for 2 weeks. Here's what I got this week...

 -9 oranges
-6 apples
-2 lemons
-1 pineapple
-4 mangoes
-6 bananas
-5 yellow squash
-1 head of lettuce
-1 bunch of spinach
-6 tomatoes
-2 giant cucumbers
-12 jerusalem artichokes (this should be interesting...never had these before!)

And then I planned the menu around what I got. (You don't really know what you're getting until you show up to pick it up.) Also, I found this really awesome menu planning system here. It's basically an Excel document where you populate the categories (dinner, lunch, side, etc.) with stuff you actually cook. Then it gives you a drop down list of each category so you can choose what you want for every meal, every day, for a week at a time. The categories are not exactly what I wanted, so Matt is editing it a bit for me so that it will have the exact categories that I use. I'm pretty excited about it. This is Week 1, so we'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Kristen Brady said...

We just picked up our bountiful basket today as well - for the first time in almost two years! It's finally made it up our way!!! SOOOOOOO happy.

Nisha said...

We love Bountiful Baskets and always post a menu plan at HealthyMomsKitchen.com. Check it out!!

Abe and Lisa said...

I love bountiful baskets. Totally addicted!