Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Welcome back

My first day back at work, I walk into my office to find this...

My students had decorated my office with a big banner, balloons, leis, candy, posters, buttons, and a furry tablecloth....all lime green!
I once told them that I really wanted to paint one of the walls in there lime green. So since they couldn't do that, they just got a bunch of lime green stuff to put all over! They also made me a silly kangaroo seat cover for my chair, complete with a pouch. And they got me some lovely flowers. I love flowers in my office...they just make me happy.

So the first day back was pretty good. At least while I was at work. Everyone was happy to see me, and it felt good to be missed. It was really busy so I didn't have much time to worry about Emily. I almost forgot to eat! The pumping thing even worked out ok. I do like my job, so it was fun to be back and see everyone.

I had a bit of a breakdown on Sunday night just thinking about how I was going to have to leave her the next day and so I didn't sleep very well. She was asleep when I left in the morning, so it wasn't AS bad to leave.

But the really awful part happened when I got home on Monday. Emily was crying and she was just exhausted. Apparently she had cried most of the day and wouldn't sleep at all the whole day. And she had a bit of trouble eating too. It just broke my heart. She just looked so unhappy. Oh, and she rolled over for the first time too and I missed it! And then when I got home and started talking to her, she just got a huge smile on her face. It was like..."Oh, you actually came back!" Anyway, she was so exhausted that she slept for almost 10 hours straight! Poor little girl. So then I had a major breakdown. I really hope she does better today or I don't know if I am going to be able to do this.

2 comments:

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

You will be able to do what the Lord wants you to do. When my nephew was a baby, he wouldn't take a bottle from his dad, so if he was home with his dad, he would just scream and cry the whole time. I don't know how Kari solved the problem, but Simon got over it. I've heard of people soaking nursing pads or a burp diaper/rag with breastmilk so that the baby will feel closer to mom when being bottle fed. Have you tried any of that? Maybe it's just that Emily doesn't have that "Mom smell" that she is used to, and that's why she's struggling. I hope it gets better fast.

Cheryl said...

Good luck to all of you! I hope you all adjust quickly.